Friday, September 6, 2013

Blog Post #2


Choice number 1: The Johnson Center
            The Johnson Center would be my first choice because I love the gym. The gym would be something that would not bore me easily and I would enjoy learning the ins and outs of the place. (Especially the classes they offer.) However there could be many students who also are interested in this facility.

Choice number 2: The Study
            The Study would be my second choice because of all of the wonderful things I have heard about it. Also, being an engineering major, I know that the study would be a place I will need to be extremely familiar with anyway. It does concern me however that many student will choose the study or that there may not be a depth to it to direct a semesters worth of work to it.

1 comment:

  1. These are two strong options Sarah, but my concern is that you will quickly become an insider to these spaces. It sounds like you're interested in learning about them for your own use, which is great, but I wonder if you'll be able to maintain the critical distance necessary to work with these spaces throughout the semester. One way around that might be to discover a subgroup within these spaces that you don't want to belong to--they could serve as a focal point for the later projects. For instance, maybe there is a running culture/weightlifting culture/basketball culture at the Johnson Center to focus on.

    Also, with the Study, there may be some accessibility issues due to confidentiality. You may not be able to just sit and observe as you would in other spaces.

    From your concerns, it sounds like you want to do a space that you are interested in, but you don't want it to necessarily be a space that a lot of other students choose too. If that's true, maybe we should have a sit down and really hammer out what you're interested in and see if we can find you a unique space. I'm happy to chat by email or we can sit down some time this week to discuss it, if you want.

    ReplyDelete