Sunday, September 15, 2013

Prompt #1

I have chosen Army ROTC as my cultural site. When I first decided to study this space immediately there was a huge intimidation factor involved. When we think of out military men and women we think of them in uniform marching in prefect succinct shouting words that mean nothing to the untrained ear. I picture myself walking in and feeling as though I was an intruder disturbing the order of such a prestigious profession. Even the thought of talking to a man or woman in uniform made me nervous! With all of this on my mind I had no clue that when I walked up to the entrance I would hear laughter and the bouncing of a basketball of the rim of a basketball hoop in the middle of what appeared to the a gym like area with cement floors. I looked around and saw men in uniform and also t-shirts that were bright yellow. The fan in the coroner of the gym was running and even though it was loud you could still hear the murmur of conversation amongst the room. I immediately find the closest person to me to explain my reason for being there and immediately he welcomed me into the space telling me I was free to hang out until the man I had contacted got there to so he would know I was there.  (Michael Marchetti.) As I waited I observed. A banner reading “Inspiring Strength in Others” hangs from the ceiling as well as a giant American flag. Also on the ceiling were four individual banners reading:  selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage. All off the words were extremely meaningful. What looks like gymnastic equipment hangs down (like the loops men put their arms in and hold their weight up) and appears to be different activities for a miniature obstacle course. Everyone is talking or watching the basketball being shot time after time. I was amazing at how relaxed the environment felt. It began to make me think that there was more to the military than being always on point. That maybe it wasn’t always about correctness and order. As I am continuing to observe the man that I had told of my scenario calls to me and tells me that Michael Marchetti has just walked in. I proceeded to get his attention and tell him of my mission there. He welcomes me and then introduces me to the man in charge of the leadership activities for the day. He informed me that they would be doing a FLRC (field leaders reaction coarse) that day out on the lawn by the student center and that if I had any question about anything to ask him. He also told me that the ROTC members would be broken up into teams and with that team they would be preforming different activities: physical or mental. He explains to me that the seniors and juniors were the men and women in uniform and that they would be helping him lead the underclassmen, the men and women in the t-shirts, throughout the different courses. He makes a note that the underclassmen aren’t very familiar with each other yet and the course will hopefully help them to build the relationships they will need to withstand the training. He tell me that the purpose of this FLRC is to teach them how to work together and learn to trust one another as well as learn how to be a leader. They were so welcoming and friendly that my nerves went away. They proceeded with their schedule by calling role in the orderly fashion we picture in the movies with the chanting and the particular motions For example, when one would leave the line they would step back and take a stutter step then proceed out to the field as their name was called. We made our way to the field where there were different activities set up all around. There was a station with a puzzle (a mental challenge), a station in which 2 men or women would carry a third on a blanket (a physical challenge), a station with cinder block that has to be maneuvered across using only 2 planks, and more. There was time allotted for each station. Some were timed missions that required the participants to work together to get the job done. The men and women in charge were encouraging communication and teamwork. They talked about confidence and its importance. The men and women are challenged mentally and physically throughout the different challenges and throughout I was able to take notes about each activity. After all of the courses were completed the men and women gathered around in their groups for an AR session that I am told happens each week after the learning program. AR stands for “after action review” in which the men and women talk about what they got out of the experience and what the will take away. They even discuss what they did good and bad and what they could do differently. After the AR the group heads back up the gym talking and laughing the whole way up about the crazy activities they just preformed. Throughout my 2 hours with ROTC I saw personalities and good times being had. It makes me consider that although the military is a profession of preciseness it is also a culture of the relationships and enjoyment when they aren’t in serious mode. Under the surface, the military likes to have fun and goof off. They are people just like you and I.




No comments:

Post a Comment