Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blog Post #9


***WARNING: I know that some of the labels on the continents are inappropriate for class; however, I felt there was a lot to say about the other information the map provides about American stereotypes on other parts of the world. Thanks!

            In searching around different articles I would be considered an insider, I came across an article on title “The World According to Americans.” Being an American, I feel I am an “insider” and able to evaluate what the article is saying about the prevalent stereotypes the United States has created about other countries. The idea that Americans have formed general ideas about what the rest of the world is like cannot be denied. According to the article, when we think of Asia, we think of communists, the movie “Borat”, sushi, and even terrorists. When we think of Canada, we think of fur trappers. When we think of Africa, we think of poverty, aids, and African Americans. Those were just a few examples of what the pictures in the articles exposed. Now, as an insider, I can ask myself how true these believed stereotypes are. Unfortunately, this author has a point. Oftentimes, American are uneducated and inexperienced when it comes to other countries. Because of this lack of knowledge, and even lack of a desire to learn, many Americans are subject to the stereotypes created by the American culture and media about other countries. The media is an extremely powerful tool that can alter the minds of people just like you and me. The picking and choosing what the media covers about other countries can drive the stereotype creation. Also, due to the fast pace of society, many people don’t take the time to even question the stereotypes created about other countries, consequently making us vulnerable. This vulnerability can even lead to a smaller scale of stereotypes across different states within the United States. The author, towards the end of the article, narrows from the entire earth, to just the United States. According to the article, when we think of California, we think of fake boobs and oranges, when we think of New York, we think of apples, and the list continues. (The stereotypes can even be deduced from city to city.) It total, what we can take away from what this article exposes in Americans, is that we need to be extremely cautious toward stereotypes because more often then not, they are not a pure and just explanation of an area. We need to be aware of our tendency to fall into these ideas and make a conscious effort to become informed. We do not have to be the victim of what American culture paints the world to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment